Power Electronics Research Scientist with Master’s or Phd in Electrical / Power Electronics field required for permanent role in Cork city.
- Develop and execute technology research plans to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
- Demonstrate technical excellence in research activities and creative thinking that leads to innovative concepts.
- Assist in developing proposals for externally-funded research in the area of power electronics and electrical machines, and collaborating with external partners such as companies, national labs and universities.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to senior management and functional teams.
- Actively contribute concepts to technology roadmaps in areas related to power electronics technologies applied to aerospace and industrial systems, helping expand the portfolio of technology maturation projects.
- Enjoy working in the lab, implementing and testing control strategies, as well as designing and testing hardware prototypes and becoming confident to be able to work without direct guidance.
- To become responsible for several components on a project or a complex component of a larger project.
- Some travel required.
- A minimum of a Doctoral Degree in Electrical or Mechatronic Engineering with 0-2+ years of industrial or academic experience OR a Master’s Degree with 2-5+ years of industrial or academic experience in a field relevant to the design and operation of power electronics.
- Expert knowledge in at least one of the following: (1) Design, modeling, analysis, simulation and control of power electronics systems and motor drives, (2) EMI analysis & filter design, (3) Semiconductor power switches and associated converter topologies, (4) Isolated electrical power generation & distribution systems.
- An applied background in electrical system co-design, wide band-gap semiconductor devices and/or novel electrical system architecture development will be a plus.
- Software skills preferred: MATLAB/Simulink, PSIM, OrCAD, Saber, Modelica/Dymola, LabView, FGPA/DSP programming, PCB design.
- The ideal candidate is a self-starter who works well in an international teaming environment, is well-organized and has strong interpersonal, leadership and communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial attitude towards innovation is fundamental.
Ideal, but not essential:
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop and rapid-prototyping tools.
- An applied background in the more electric aircraft.
- High power density active rectification.
- Solid state protections.
- DC/DC converters.
- Power quality.
Please contact Emer Moore to discuss in confidence