Head of Powertrain Systems – a Subject Matter Expert – electric propulsion, motor control, power distribution, Energy Storage System (ESS) required by disruptive & dynamic Irish company. Do you want to contribute to their continued success?
You will manage the powertrain systems team (including sub-contractors) – supervising, hiring, and mentoring, building out a best-in-class team.
- Own the aircraft powertrain from the battery cell to the tip of the rotor.
- Manage the powertrain systems team (including sub-contractors) – supervising, hiring, and mentoring.
- Lead the air vehicle powertrain development activities.
- Develop the powertrain requirements to meet the aircraft’s performance, control, and safety objectives.
- Communicate and allocate requirements to the other departments to meet the design goals.
- Technically manage external suppliers to meet the powertrain components’ specifications.
- 3-5 years of practical aviation industry experience in electric propulsion, power distribution, and energy storage (battery) systems development.
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering.
- Comprehensive understanding of electric propulsion unit (motor & controller) physics, dynamics, and performance.
- Experience with brushless DC motors and motors controllers (ESCs/Inverters) design/integration.
- Experience with Energy Storage Systems (ESS) design/integration.
- Experience with rotor/propeller integration.
- Comprehensive understanding of all aspects of powertrain development – mechanical, electrical, thermal management, control and algorithms, performance, cell chemistry, etc.
- Experience in preliminary design and sizing of an aircraft powertrain.
- Comprehensive understanding of coupled ESS-ESC-motor dynamics.
- Familiarization with powertrain regulations and standards (Part 33, part 35, 14 CFR, 23.2430, etc.)
- Experience in certification and prior interactions with certification authorities.
- Team-working attitude.
- Ability to work harmoniously in a high-performance team environment.
- Capability to operate in a collaborative and cross-functional environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills