Video interviews have become an important part of the recruitment process. They are specifically used in early stage interviews if the interviewee lives far away or in another country. They are an excellent opportunity for both parties to get familiar with one another without the formality of the traditional interview processes.
Here are some helpful tips to think about before a video interview:
- Professional appearance. Dressing appropriately for a video interview can get you in the correct mindset and help you perform better. It is also advisable to check your online profiles and adjust your privacy settings so no personal content can be reviewed.
- Setting. Pick a spot that has good lighting, and a plain, neutral background potentially an office space, where the lighting is solid and you can easily set up your laptop. Also ensure that your internet connection is functioning correctly from this location.
- Focus. Video interviews can be very distracting try to behave as you would in a face to face interview, remain in eye contact with the interviewer and keep focused.
- Environment is everything. Ensure you have the house to yourself. Eliminate any noises or distractions that may occur such as phone alerts, doorbell, TV noise etc.
- Practice makes perfect. If you have never participated in a video interview before it is worth taking the time to practice a call, particularly if you are not familiar with the technology being used. This will alert you to any technical glitches you were previously unaware of.
- Notes. If, you want to have notes with you make sure they are placed behind your laptop or desktop just below eye level. However, I would recommend taking no notes into the with interview with you as they can be a distraction.
- Be prepared. Try to be in front of the camera at least 15 minutes before the scheduled interview. This will allow some time pre-interview to adjust to your surroundings and the camera. Make sure your laptop is on charge and your internet connection is stable. Also ensure any other devices in the room are switched to silent.
If you want any more help in finding the right move for you why not contact us at email@example.com or give us a call on +353 (0) 57 863 8188.